Sunday, August 25, 2013

The First Weekend

It is currently 4:18 in the morning Paris time. And 9:18 p.m. Texas time. Probably the worst jet lag I have ever experienced. I think it is a combination of nerves for meeting my host family tomorrow morning, sleeping in too late this morning and staying up too late. So I can’t decide if no sleep is worse or just as bad as less than four hours of sleep. I’d rather get my mind off the fact that I can’t sleep and talk about the day anyways! Other than getting lost multiple times, the day was good. The main event of the day was a cooking class that we took. After walking around the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame area, we left to meet up with our cooking class group and guide. The plan was to meet at 5:30 

and go to the market with the guide and talk about how to pick the best food. Unfortunately, there was some miscommunication and we missed a location change. So while the other three people in the group went to the market, we (my mom, her friend, Dana Hecht, and I) sat at a café on the other side of town and drank some coffee and waited for them to come pick us up. While that was relaxing, it was definitely a bummer to have to miss the market shopping. However, when Philippe arrived, I couldn’t have been happier. He was exactly the frenchman you would picture in a movie- chatty, friendly, slightly effeminate, and full of stories and jokes. He had lived in LA for 15 years doing both cooking and entertainment law- so he definitely had lots of stories. 

After stopping at the fromagerie and boulangerie to pick up some fresh cheese and bread we went back to his apartment with the other family, a mother, father and a son, and began to cook! After chopping up fresh vegetables, melting some chocolate and whisking eggs and sugar, the end product was a delicious 4 course french meal! He even taught us how to present it with style. I was so distracted by how beautiful and delicious the food was I forgot to get a group picture... Oops! The entrée was a cold cucumber and mint soup with a cream cheese mixture and a dab of balsamic vinaigrette. The main course was sautéed leeks layered with granny apples and salmon. And let me tell you-WOW. It was SO good. If you want the recipe, message me! It was so simple  and fun to make. Then, of course, following the main course was the cheese tray featuring brie, camembert, roquefort and one other french cheese. The camembert was my favorite. And finally, to end the meal was a life changing homemade chocolate lava cake. All it took to make was eggs, flour, sugar, and chocolate. But it tasted like it was a top secret, gourmet recipe! You can be sure I’ll be bringing that back to the States when I get home! Here are some pictures of the meal.










What I learned from this experience was how much of an event dinner can be and is in France. I’m looking forward to more dinners like it in the future! Which reminds me that I am supposed to be waking up in three hours to meet my host mother. Woof. I would love your prayers as I start a relationship with both my host mother and roommate! Also prayers for being able to sleep in the future!  
His love never fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment